1. WHY BE BAPTIZED?
Those who are baptized are following Jesus’ example and obeying his command.
- “After his baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.””—Matthew 3:16–17
- “Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”” —Matthew 28:18–20
2. WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF BAPTISM?
Water baptism is a public declaration of three very important things:
- You are a follower of Jesus Christ.
“Those who believed what Peter said were baptized and added to the church that day—about 3,000 in all.” —Acts 2:41
- You are beginning a changed life in Christ.
“For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives.” —Romans 6:4
- You are part of a new family.
“For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus. And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes.” —Galatians 3:26–27
3. I HAVE ALREADY BEEN BAPTIZED. SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED AGAIN?
Your baptism should have signified you becoming a follower of Jesus, beginning a changed life, and uniting with a new family. If your baptism did not reflect this change of life, then you should be baptized again.
4. CAN MY CHILD BE BAPTIZED?
We will baptize anyone Kindergarten age and older who understands what baptism symbolizes and wants to make that personal public declaration. We encourage any parents to partner with our Journey Kids team to guide your children through these decisions of faith. For more information to help guide your child through this important decision, check out our Journey Kids baptism page HERE.