17 Apr The Why, What, and Who’s of Baptism
Your Questions About Baptism Answered
If you’ve been gathering at The Journey for any length of time, or even if you just recently walked through the doors, you most likely have heard talk about baptism and you may be wondering just what the hype is all about. Maybe you’re even questioning if this is your next step, but how do you know if it is? As we dive into the “why, what, and who’s” of baptism, we hope that you will find the answers you are searching for and that this will help guide your decision to go all in with Jesus!
WHY BE BAPTIZED?
Those who are baptized are following Jesus’ example and obeying his command.
- “After his baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.””—Matthew 3:16–17
- “Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”” —Matthew 28:18–20
WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF BAPTISM?
Water baptism is a public declaration of three very important things:
- You are a follower of Jesus Christ.
“Those who believed what Peter said were baptized and added to the church that day—about 3,000 in all.” —Acts 2:41
- You are beginning a changed life in Christ.
“For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives.” —Romans 6:4
- You are part of a new family.
“For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus. And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes.” —Galatians 3:26–27
(Taken from The Journey website)
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
- If you believe in Jesus and have made the decision to follow him, whether that was yesterday or twenty years ago, and you are ready to be made new, then baptism is the next step for you!
“But now the people believed Philip’s message of Good News concerning the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ. As a result, many men and women were baptized.”—Acts 8:12
Still not sure? Then check out Casey’s story:
“For 30 years, I was lost and felt like I was missing something in my life. It wasn’t until last year at the beginning of 2022, my next-door neighbor invited me to church. The first day I walked through the doors of The Journey, I felt like I had found my answer. Listening to my first message from Pastor Mark and hearing God call out to me is what led me to say my first “Yes” to Jesus! That first “Yes” to Jesus led to me saying “Yes” to him over and over again. From gathering in J-Groups to going to Plugged-In and joining the parking lot team, which I am now team lead in, starting a career change, and then last April of 2022, going public with my faith and getting baptized during Baptism Weekend is a moment I will never forget. The day I went all in and said “Yes” to Jesus is the day I realized that despite my past, through Jesus, I can be made whole again. I’ve searched like so many others in the broken world for the piece I was missing, but I can promise you there is no replacement for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! When I was lost, he made me found.” – Casey C.
So, are you ready to go all in with Jesus? You will never regret this decision, and you will never be the same! Join us for April 22/23 Baptism weekend at The Journey! Sign up here:
- For Newark location
Mark RosarioPosted at 11:40h, 19 April
Would love to get baptized
Emily CopelandPosted at 17:53h, 19 April
Awesome! You can sign up through one of these links: Newark location or Hockessin location.